Wednesday, March 3, 2010

GUEST POST: "Why I'm Bi..."

One of my good friends and colleagues, Rev. Criss Itterman, heard me announce my new blog and asked if she could contribute to it. "Of course!" was my natural response. This blog, my friends, is all about the ways that we become our Higher Self through loving and being Goddesses...truly self-expressed as we do that dance that is the substance of our lives: Body Parts and Soul Connections.


Why I'm Bi
And my other new blog is called ‘Body Parts and Soul Connections,’
said Sheila Pearl, and the inspiration hit me.
That’s exactly it, that’s what it’s all about.
It immediately brought to mind this quote from Richard Matheson’s What Dreams May Come (the original book): “’Does a man’s existence change in any way when he removes his overcoat? Neither does it change when death removes the overcoat of his body. He’s still the same person. No wiser. No happier. No better off. Exactly the same.... Death is merely a continuation at another level.’”
Similarly, I don’t fall in love with a body. A person is not their body, as the movie version of What Dreams May Come points out. A body is a collection of chemicals and atoms, held together by laws of the universe that even science does not yet fully comprehend, but while those atoms and energies are of God, of Spirit, of Source, they are not the sum total of what makes me love a person.
I don’t love someone for the sum total of the carbon and hydrogen atoms that make them a person.
Nor do I love them for their testosterone, their estrogen, nor their adrenaline. Why would I love someone for the organs that exude chemical complexities? While I’m bisexual, I don’t love a man for their testes, nor a woman for her breasts, nor people for their adrenal glands.
I love people for their soul -- that sum total of their beliefs, their energies, their aura, their emotions, their thoughts, their intelligence. All those things that science wants to boil down to the complex interactions of chemicals on body parts, because that’s the only physical evidence that science can comprehend about the less provable portions of what makes a person a person. For me, when my love runs deeply in the tight-knit romantic partner sense, the love I feel for that person is in itself a reason, not an excuse, to delight in touch in pleasure and in mashing squishy parts together.
I am bisexual because I have a deep belief that it is the soul of my lover that matters, not what “junk” they have. I could care less what “gender” we as a culture and species assign to those parts. For other humans, perhaps the complementary pheromones matter, for some the gender roles we play in society matter, and they keep telling us that the visual stimuli or physical stimuli may matter. We each choose our attractions by whatever criteria we find suit ourselves, and please go in peace with it. I don’t bring this message to “make people bi” but to explain why I, and perhaps others, are bi. I don’t believe that souls have gender. When I have a soul connection with another person, I don’t let my body parts get in the way.
Lovingly,
Rev. Criss Itterman

No comments:

Post a Comment